It will be a busy Memorial Day weekend in the Old Forge and Inlet areas with a variety of activities and events planned.
There are several services planned locally to commemorate the Memorial Day holiday on Monday, May 29:
• A Memorial Day Wreath-Laying Ceremony will be held at Legion Square in front of Inlet Town Hall at 9 a.m.
American Legion Leonard-Mick-Roberts Post 1402 invites the public to help them honor those we have lost. For more information call (315) 357-5501 or go online to www.inletny.com.
• A wreath-laying ceremony by American Legion Leonard-Mick-Roberts Post 1402 will take place at the Raquette Lake Library at 10 a.m.
• Covey-Pashley American Legion Post 893 will hold a Memorial Day parade and services in Old Forge. The parade will start at 10 a.m. at the post office. Parade lineup begins at 9:30 a.m.
There will be laying of wreaths at the Webb school, the Old Forge Fire House, the American Legion and the cemetery.
Services will be held at Riverview Cemetery, where Commander Bill Ransom will welcome the public. The ceremony will include recognizing wwii veterans, laying of the wreath, invocation, music by the high school band, bell choir and community chorus, guest speaker Mike Farmer, a benediction, firing squad and “Taps.”
Guest speaker Farmer is the tourism director for the Town of Webb.
Following the parade and services at the cemetery, the Fire Department, Legion and VFW will be serving lunch at the firehouse.
The Great Adirondack Garage Sale will be taking place this Memorial Day weekend from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28.throughout more than 200 miles of Adirondack towns situated along NYS Routes 28, 30 and 3 from the Old Forge/Inlet area to Speculator and just about everywhere in between.
For more information go online to www.GreatAdirondackGarageSale.com.
The site lists garage sale locations as well as a sampling of items offered at each listing for every participating town, including, Old Forge, Eagle Bay, Inlet, Raquette Lake, Indian Lake, Lake Pleasant, Blue Mountain Lake, Long Lake, Tupper Lake, Cranberry Lake, Saranac Lake, Schroon Lake, Piseco, Sabael, Piercefield, Newcomb and Speculator.
Shoppers may also pick up a local sales map that includes sales listed in Thendara, Old Forge, Big Moose, and Eagle Bay at the Old Forge Visitor’s Information Office. The Inlet Information Office staff will also print out maps for any of the participating towns for guests who drop by the office.
• Calypso’s Cove Family Fun Park in Old Forge, right next door to Water Safari, will be open for the weekend on May 27 -28 from noon to 9 p.m. Attractions include go-karts, kiddie go-karts, bumper boats, batting cages, zipline, rock climbing wall, mini golf, the largest arcade in the Adirondacks with over 40 games, and food featuring pizza and wings. They will be offering a variety of specials including Unlimited Go-Karts from 2-5 p.m. for $20, $10 Unlimited Topping Pizzas, plus ride and food packages. Learn more at CalypsosCove.com.
• Camping is a popular Adirondack Memorial Day tradition at the Old Forge Camping Resort. Choose from Cottages, Cabins, RV or Tent Sites. Those with military ID can save an additional 10% off. The Water’s Edge Inn, directly across the street from Calypso’s Cove, also offers the additional 10 percent off military discount on all guest rooms and suites.
• There are plenty of recreational activities available in the Old Forge/Inlet area including hiking trails, bicycling trails, mountain biking, kayaking and golf.
For more information go online to oldforgeny.com or inletny.com.